For a long time I prayed to the Lord for a new dwelling in which there would be a lot of space for all children. And finally - the long-awaited relocation! But the house turned out to be an apartment building, and I immediately made friends on two floors — countrymen lived in one of the apartments, former colleagues lived in one of the apartments (the earth was round!), After which ...
The doors of our apartment stopped closing! All the time the guests were dropping by, which me, an introvert by nature, was very depressing - and education did not allow them to show them at the door.
Therefore, I asked the priest to suggest whether it was possible to hang some icon at the door so that a heavenly protector from unwanted visitors appeared at the house. So I met with the Virgin of Iver.
The history of the creation of this icon
The Iveron icon has many names, some of which are folk: Goalkeeper, Gatekeeper, Portaitissa (the same Gossipress, but translated from Greek).
The main name of the icon was due to the holy monastery, where it is located: this is the Athos Iversky Monastery.
The history of this icon can be outlined with several milestones:
- The image is very old. It is believed that the apostle Luke himself wrote it when the Mother of Jesus was alive.
- In the 9th century, a decree was issued on the destruction of all icons. Such a fate threatened the oldest image of the Mother of God, but the widow living near Nikaia managed to hide it in her home. True, this did not remain a secret, and soon soldiers stood at its doorstep. They tried to take away the image. One of them even hit the icon with a spear, hitting the Virgin's cheek. Blood began to drip from the pierced area.
- The widow grabbed the wounded face and ran to the sea. She understood that even if these soldiers let her go (the miracle that happened to the icon convinced them that it is impossible to destroy the shrines), the abuse of the image is a matter of time. Not knowing what to do, she lowered the icon into the waves, giving it to the will of the Lord - and she swam away. About her no one heard about 200 years.
- The monks of the Iversky Georgian monastery once saw a pillar of fire. At its top was this icon. She was recognized as the former abbot of the monastery (the son of the widow herself) at one time described both the icon itself and the wound on the face of the Virgin Mary. The image was swimming in the sea, but the monks could not get it. And only when, after long prayers, the Virgin Mary came to a brother in a dream and allowed to take the icon, could they get it.
- The brothers prayed, thanks to God for the appearance of the holy image to them, and brought it to the temple. But when they woke up in the morning, they were surprised: the icon hung above the entrance! Who moved her there, no one knew. Fearing that the shrine would ruin the sun and rain, the monks hid it again ... And she returned to her place again.
- One of the monks, Gabriel Svyatogortsy, came in a dream from the Queen of Heaven herself, saying that the icon should not be removed anymore: its place is above the gate, since the image must protect the entrance to the monastery.
- The inhabitants of the Iberian monastery did not disobey the Virgin, and the icon is still in the same place that she has chosen for herself. Although of course, they didn’t allow the icon to just hang, putting a special gate church, where they placed the shrine. She was never taken away from here: the monks believe that the image will leave the mountain just before the Second Christ Advent.
Dates of worship icons
She is honored by both Orthodox and Catholics.
In our churches they sing it:
- February 25 (or, if in the old style, then February 12).
- On Tuesday of Bright Week (this is a rolling Easter holiday, which is celebrated in April).
- October 26 (13).
The miracles that showed Iversky face of Our Lady
- At the place where the monks first hung the icon, scored a source of water, clean and sweet. He still exists. Input to the source looks like this:
- Once the monastery was threatened by the Persians who besieged it from the sea. The monks began to ask the icon for help - on the same day a sharply storming storm sank all the invaders' ships, and the monastery was saved.
- One day a man knocked at the monastery who wanted to spend the night. But the year was hungry, the brothers did not have enough, and the gatekeeper asked the pilgrim to pay for the night. He could not, and they did not let him in. After such greed, all the food in the monastery spoiled. The poor man on the way met a woman (it was the Virgin Mary), who gave him a coin. He returned to the monastery to pay and spend the night. So the monks realized that their intercessor was angry with them, and to this day they don’t charge for an overnight stay.
- An icon always hangs in front of the icon. When she begins to rock for no reason, the holy brothers know: soon there will be a shock or a great disaster in the world. And before the beginning of the First World War, even the face of Jesus on the icon changed: it was childishly tender, became angry.
One of the lists of the Iberian image of the Virgin became cult among the Orthodox United States. He appeared to them in 2007, since then he has been constantly moving around the churches, where people can touch this peace-giving gift of the Lord.
And the Montreal myrrh-streaming icon was considered miraculous. This list was created on Athos in 1981, it was 15 years in peace keeping. You can learn more about this foreign, but still almost Russian Orthodox miracle from this video:
What helps Iberian Mother of God
- It was not for nothing that she was called the Gatekeeper: an icon can protect a house from unwanted visits. They also pray in front of her to protect the home from thieves, fire, and flood. Also, it will help protect against enemies.
- To many, she helped defend herself or recover from ailment. And they mean both physical and mental diseases.
- People in the villages are asking for this icon to give them a good harvest.
- It will help to rationalize a person who has embarked on the wrong path.
- Finally, the Mother of God is asked for consolation in adversity and sorrow. And it’s right to ask not only for yourself, but also for loved ones. Also it is necessary to put in a word for the health of enemies.
How to pray this icon
Here is a special prayer for help, which is read before the icon at a difficult hour:
Many of our contemporaries are so inspired by this icon that they make poems about it. It turns out very sincere and beautiful:
Where you need to place such an icon in the house
Most often it is placed either above the entrance door, or opposite the entrance, so that the Mother of God looks into the eyes of everyone who enters.
Of course, hanging the icon, you need to tell about it to households, and children too. So that the little ones better help the essence of the shrine, you can show them such a cartoon drawn specifically about the Iberian Mother of God.
Probably, he is not for kindergartners, but for schoolchildren, since he raises many almost adult topics - say, the topic of personal choice. In any case, watch it with the children, because they will have many questions that you, adults, already know the answers: