The name Basil has ancient Greek roots. This is a derivative named Basileios, which means reigning or regal. The church form of the name has an identical pronunciation - Basil.
Days of the angel Vasily
Vasily’s name in the Orthodox and Catholic Saints calendar is mentioned more than a hundred times:
- January - 20, 15, 14, 08, 05 - on these dates the Spassky Great Martyr Basil, Rev. Mazurenko Basil, Priest Vitevsky Basil, Martyr of Ancyra, Caesarea, Archbishop Basil the Great, Martyr Petrov Vasi, Priest Vasi Archangel;
- February - 26, 23, 22, 19, 17, 15, 14, 12 - these days are associated with the commemoration of Vasily Ivanov, Priest Nadezhdinsky, Vasily from Novgorod, Priest Gorbachev Vasi, Bishop of Zaleski, Basil of Caesarea the Great;
- March - 24, 20, 17, 14, 13, 05, 03 - the clergy Vasily Kherson, confessor Malakhov, the Monk Mirozhsky, the Nikitsky martyr, the Bishop Decapolit, Vasily Prince of Rostov are commemorated;
- April - 25, 10, 08, 05, 04, 02 - the holy martyr Vasily Sokolov, Vasily of Ancyra, clergyman of Zelentsov, bishop Koklin, martyr Mangazeisky, confessor Vasya of Constantinople, bishop of Pariysk, Archpriest Malinin Vasily;
- May - 31, 26, 23, 22, 19, 13, 12, 09, 08, 01 - Vasily Krylov priest, holy martyr Sokolov, Kolosov, Metropolitan of Ostrog, Trebin, Skenderi, Bishop of Amasia, Venerable Polyanomylorsky, Martyr Ratishvilli Basil;
- June - 23, 21, 20, 14, 12, 06, 01 - Bishop Vasily Ryazantsev, Martyr Pobedonostsev Vasya, Bishop Preobrazhensky, confessor Smolensky, martyr Mangazeysky, Priest Ivanov Vasily;
- July - 28, 19, 18, 16, 14, 11, 08, 05, 01 - Grand Prince Vasily (in the world of Vladimir), martyr Athenian, Macedonian, martyr Vasya Sitnikov, deacon of Glubokorechensk, priest Militsin, igumen venerable Patalarsk, and Kreylov , martyr Smirnov;
- Augustus - 27, 26, 25, 24, 20, 15, 13, 10 - dates of remembrance of Archbishop Epiphany, Martyr Alexandrina, Priest Infantev, Pechersk martyr, Archpriest Amenitsky, St. Basil the Blessed (Moscow), Confessor Preobrazhensky, Erekaev sacred martyr Vasile the Blessed
- September - 23, 22, 20, 17, 16, 15, 10, 04 - commemorated martyr Vasily Maximov, priest Malinin, Razumov, martyr Shikalov, Yezhov, priest Kolmykov, Krasivsky, Zelensky, Sokolsky, the martyr Smirnov;
- October - 23, 21, 17, 15, 13, 07, 04, 03 - Prince Bryansky Vasily Romanovich, Venerable Vassian, Hegumen Ozeretskovsky, Holy Martyr Tsvetkov, Kazan, Priest Guryev, Vinogradov, Deacon of the Resurrection, Priest Krymkin, Kondratiev;
- November - 29, 27, 20, 19, 16, 13, 11, 08, 04, 03 - commemoration dates of Priest Sokolov, Martyr Likharev, Archpriest Nikolsky, Martyr Red, Krylov, Priest Martyr Pokrovsky, Arkhangelsk, Priest Kolokolov, Martyr of the Epiphany, Priest Martyr Nikolsky, Kozyrev;
- December - 28, 26, 22, 20, 17, 11, 10, 09, 08, 05, 03 - dates of memory of martyr Vinogradov, Pokrovsky, Yagodin, Mirozhin, Kashin, Zavgorodniy, Studnitsky, archpriest Agafonikov.
Interpretation and main characteristic of the name Vasily
From an early age Vassenka is a very serious and independent child. He is always calm, reasonable and active. From children's games, prefers those where you want to use the mind, erudition, resourcefulness and ingenuity.
This young man does not like being manipulated, imposing his point of view, or publicly brought up, pointing out flaws. He seeks independence and autonomy from adults. Therefore, it is early to start thinking about your financial well-being.
During his school years, he prefers the exact sciences, but does not lose his position and is quite successful in the knowledge of humanities. His perseverance and academic performance depends entirely on the boy's interest in a particular science. In order to master a certain field of knowledge well, he must know why he needs it. Already at this age, Vasya is very pragmatic and practical.
In high school, Vasily shows clear leadership qualities. There are always many friends around him, like-minded people who see him as not only a comrade, but also an ideological mastermind. He is a very sociable and open young man who cannot imagine his life without daily communication with his peers.
But there is another type of young people named Basil. Such a young man prefers only a closed, narrow circle of friends, sometimes closed, and very attached to the family. He prefers to spend his free time in sports, reading an art book or communicating with relatives.
Both that and other type like to dominate in a society very much. By valuing his own freedom, he prefers not to be led by someone, but to influence and control the situation himself. Basil is quite ambitious and conceited, considering himself to be special, he prefers to be with those who really appreciate, love and respect him.
Feeling necessary and needed, Vasya becomes extremely efficient and active. At such moments, he is full of ideas, plans and promising projects that he is surely seeking to bring to life.
Professional implementation and personal life
Vasily is a reformer in life. He is not afraid to go against the system and change the rules of the game in their favor. But in this case, he must see his own benefit, otherwise he will not get down to business.
Vasily is a self-sufficient man seeking to occupy a high position in society. He is used to relying only on his own strength, he has a great desire to live in prosperity and comfort. Vasya is a good and caring family man. But the wife will have to accept his infidelity. This man prefers diversity in intimacy and does not consider physical betrayal a sin.
Those close to Basil will always live in prosperity, since this man is used to taking care of his offspring and parents. Health in adult years can fail this man if he abuses alcohol and tobacco smoking.
The fate of the church name in history - famous saints
Archbishop Basil of Caesarea is a writer and theologian, author of numerous sermons and prayers. It is assumed that it was he who created the iconostasis and compiled the liturgy of Basil the Great. He led an ascetic life, which greatly undermined his health. He died on the first day of the new year 379.
He was called the teacher Ecumenical and soon was canonized. Orthodox honor his memory on January 1, and Catholics on January 30.